Monday, April 28, 2008

DATE & SPELT MUFFINS





You can use wholewheat flour instead of spelt flour if you prefer, but the spelt flour gives a lighter texture. These are a great snack: low in sugar but sweet because of the dates. Instead of dates, I also sometimes use the equivalent weight (150gr) in chopped apple, mashed banana or grated carrot, or blueberries.

This recipe makes 12 small, tasty, low GI muffins.

Preheat oven to 180˚C

250 gr (9oz) wholegrain spelt flour
25gr (1oz) light muscovado sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
150ml soya milk
1tsp NoEgg mixed with 2tblsps water
150 gr of chopped, de-seeded dates
2 tblsps vegetable oil
12 muffin or bun cases


• Put muffin cases into bun tray
• Mix the flour, spice, sugar and baking powder in a bowl
• Make up the NoEgg as per pack
• In a jug, mix together the soya milk, oil and NoEgg mixture
• Make a well in the flour and beat in the milky mixture
• Mix in the dried fruit until you have a sticky, fruit-studded dough
• Divide the mixture between the muffin cases
• Bake for 25 to 30 minutes

3 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

Hi WRW, I have just discovered your second blog, food-related, always a thrill! I am an ex-vegetarian who still thinks like one. I try and cook with spelt and I am a little dairy-intolerant, so am happy with vegan recipes. My latest thing is cupcakes - ever made vegan versions? Check these out for inspiration: http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com.

Tania x

Tania Hershman said...

PS I have also encountered that vegetarian thing in Ireland whenever I visit since I only eat kosher meat, not widely available anywhere near where my Dad lives! I tend to subsist on smoked salmon and Brack... Not the healthiest diet but very very tasty.

Group 8 said...

God, Tania, I need to set up an alert for comments to this blog. I'm only discovering you here now!! Smoked salmon and brack. That is hilariuos!