|Vegan squash & courgette risotto|
1 medium butternut squash
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 sml courgette, thinly sliced
handful of basil leaves
250g arborio rice
600mls veggie stock
· Preheat the oven to 200C
· Cut the squash into large chunks (no need to peel), remove the seeds and place in a roasting tray.
· Add a good glug of olive oil, the garlic and half the basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
· Roast for 30 mins (or so) until golden and soft.
· Allow the cooked squash to cool slightly then scrape the flesh from the rind and mash it with a fork.
· While the squash is roasting, heat olive oil and fry off the onion and courgette until soft.
· Add the rice and stir it through until the rice is coated with oil.
· Add 100mls of stock, season with salt and pepper and simmer, while stirring constantly.
· Reduce the heat and add stock one ladle at a time, always stirring.
· Let the rice absorb the liquid then add more, always stirring.
· After about 20 mins the rice should have softened and be creamy but still have some bite.
· Add the mashed squash and stir through and serve.
· OPTIONAL: You can grate some Parmesan over the top for non-vegans.