Wednesday, April 15, 2015

GREAT IRISH BAKE FOR TEMPLE STREET - LO CAL BANANA BREAD

 It's Temple Street Bake time again!

Low calorie banana bread
I'm a sucker for banana bread. I'd love a soda bread type one (I think I will have to invent it) but, in the absence of that, I made a low calorie one today based on this recipe. How she got 24 pieces out of this is beyond me - maybe her guests were mice. My loaf yields about 10 slices.


Apple sauce is not a staple here in Ireland, so I made my own (ahem!) out of a peeled, finely diced apple. I cooked it on a medium heat with a little water until softened and then blended it, which didn't make it very sauce-like. But, in it went anyway.


This makes a moist, very sweet, low-sized loaf so the slices are more like bars. 106 kcals per bar. Yum!


Ingredients

2 mashed bananas
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce/or one apple made into poor applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 dash salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
2 tablespoons nonfat milk (I used soya milk)
3/4 cup spelt flour

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180°/350°F and lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin
  • Place all ingredients but flour & baking powder in a large bowl and mix
  • Sieve in flour and baking powder to wet ingredients
  • Pour into loaf tin
  • Cook for about 35 minutes - or until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool before slicing

No comments: